Monday, August 07, 2006

GARAGE ROW IS DISGRACE

South Wales Evening Post - 7 August 2006

Having followed your reporting of events, re the "Thorogood affair", and not hearing or reading anything to the contrary, I am beginning to think that my parents did me no favours by bringing me up to respect "honesty and integrity'' and all the other virtues they set so much store by.

Worse still I feel that by trying to bring my children and grandchildren up to respect these same values I am doing them a disservice, and frankly this sickens me.

This affair stinks, he obviously thinks he is above the rules, and honesty and integrity are the domain of suckers like us ratepayers who paid his wages.

Councillors went by bus to examine the interior of the garage only to find it closed. If it was so important to see the interior, why was a vote taken having failed in this respect? No wonder our council tax is so high - this was pure farce.

According to your reporter, (Post, July 26) the councillors who voted this planning application through, voted not on the merits of the case, but on the assumption of an official, that costs may or may not be incurred if an appeal was made.

The only ones to come out of this affair with any credibility are the people of Gower who brought up their concerns of double standards being applied to Thorogood re the planning rules.

I hope they will take their campaign further, and involve the right people who will be able to overturn this disgraceful decision.

E John, Llansamlet, Swansea